The information in this article applies to:
- SONAR X2
SONAR X2a has a special Accessibility Mode which can be helpful for vision impaired users when working with screen readers (Window-Eyes, JAWS, etc.). The Accessibility Mode is enabled by adding a key to the Windows Registry (WARNING: only do this if you are comfortable with editing the Windows registry; you may want to back up the registry first), and allows screen readers to receive various information from SONAR that may otherwise not be displayed on the screen (names, values, etc.).
To enable Accessibility Mode, you will want to take the following steps:
- Open the Registry. To open the registry, first open the Run Prompt by holding down the Windows Key on your computer and pressing "R". In the Run prompt type in the following and select [OK]: regedit
- If prompted with a message "Do you want to allow the following program to make changes...", select [Yes].
IMPORTANT: When you access the Registry Editor, create a backup by going to File > Export. In the Export menu, make sure you have "All" selected and that the "Save As Type" is set to "Registration Files (*.reg).
It is very important to create a backup of your registry because if you accidentally delete a registry key there is no undo function. You can, however, double-click on the Registry backup you made above to re-import your registry keys if you make any mistakes. You MUST re-import your backup (if needed) before restarting your computer.
- When in the registry, navigate to the following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\X2
- Make sure to highlight the “X2” folder so that it has the focus and it's Value's are displayed.
- The Value you will want to modify is “AccessibilityMode”. If this Value is not there, you will want to manually add it. It is a DWORD (32-bit) Value. The Value Data can be set to 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4:
- Change the Value Data to correspond to the desired number. One of these numbers should suffice for the screen reader that you are using.
0 - no accessibility (default)
1 - enable Microsoft UI Automation; put the access string in the Track view's caption
2 - enable Microsoft UI Automation; put the access string in the CWACCESS window
3 - enable Microsoft UI Automation; put the access string in the CWACCESS window and make this window visible
4 - enable Microsoft UI Automation without enabling the CWACCESS window